Monday, October 3, 2011

Five reasons why I’m not getting an iPhone 5

With Apple’s grand unveiling just over 24 hours away, it seems only fitting that my last feature in an iPhone 5-less world should concern the Californians’ latest – and presumably greatest – smartphone. In some capacity.
Of course, we don’t know a bloody thing about it yet, so rather than retread speculative ground, I’ll explain why I’m not interested in picking up an iPhone 5. Insert: “Boo!” / “Yay!” / *nonchalant shrug* as appropriate.

Here, in no particular order, are five of the main reasons:
1. Won’t be able to get one anyway
I vividly remember the efforts one of my mates went to when the iPhone 4 first came out. After travelling dozens of miles and visiting several shops, he ultimately gave up and bought an HTC Desire instead.
I also remember the farce that followed the iPad 2’s “launch”, when it appeared online with an estimated shipping time of 4-5 weeks. Ridiculous.
We’re already hearing stories of possible production problems, and I’m not willing to waste any time trying to track down units or twiddling my thumbs for several weeks while Apple addresses its supply issues. It’s just a phone, man. Probably a pretty good one, but it is just a phone.
Of course, this is all speculation, but even if there were an abundance of iPhone 5s on shelves, I still probably wouldn’t bother. Probably. Read on.
Five reasons why I’m not getting an iPhone 52. Screen size
Having used an HTC Desire HD for the past few months, I really can’t imagine how I survived with the 3.5in display on my iPhone. I still use my iPod touch for iOS gaming and listening to music, and it seems reeeaaally tiny.
We’re expecting the iPhone 5 to have a 4in display, but – if anything – I’m looking to acquire more screen real estate, not sell up.
3. I love/hate Apple
I love Apple and cherish my many iDevices, but I absolutely despise the smug bastards and resent every second I spend using their junk. Cognitive dissonance, baby. I don’t think I’m alone here.
I have a MacBook, an iMac, an iPod touch, and I happily used an iPhone for years. Still, I can’t imagine going back to the iPhone, even disregarding the other points I’ve made here. Indeed, maybe it’s the overkill of Apple devices elsewhere in my flat that has me craving something different. Who knows how my brain works? Not me.
4. Samsung Google Nexus Prime
We’re really quite excited about the Samsung-developed Google Nexus Prime here at Mobot. Phil and I particularly so. Dave’s a bit of a dark horse though. I suspect he secretly wants a Nokia Sea Ray.
The latest Nexus Prime whispers suggest a 4.65in Super AMOLED display, dual-core 1.5GHz processor, 2,000mAh battery, and Ice Cream Sandwich. Sounds pretty freakin’ good to us.
Five reasons why I’m not getting an iPhone 5 

5. Windows Phone Mango

Ok, this reason is slightly tongue-in-cheek, and partly aimed at the Mobo-regulars who really don’t seem to like Windows Phone 7 for some reason, but… I reckon I’m more likely to go with something Mango flavoured than I am to pick up an iPhone 5.
Maybe it’s because I’m an Xbox man, maybe it’s the suggestion that Windows Phone will take second place in the OS race (ahem), or maybe I’m just an idiot. Yes, probably the third one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Views Here